Breast augmentation is a procedure in which implants are surgically placed inside a woman’s breasts to increase their size. The objective of the procedure is mainly aesthetic in nature. Choosing what type of implant to use is usually the toughest decision women need to make. Different implants have their own features and benefits.
There are two types of implants commonly used during breast augmentation procedures — saline and silicone. Cosmetic surgeons from Specialist Cosmetic Surgery offer a discussion on some of the benefits of different breast implants:
Saline Breast Implants
- Saline implants are known to have a lower rate of revision surgery than silicone.
- The overall rate of capsular contracture is much lower .
- Breast augmentation scars are much smaller, and they can be filled once they are placed, allowing only for a smaller incision.
- Saline implants are also more affordable, and there is no need to have an MRI done prior to the procedure.
- In case of saline rupture, the fluid is generally absorbed by the body within a day, resulting only in a smaller breast.
Silicone Breast Implants
- The main benefit that silicone breast implants offer is on the aesthetic value. The look and feel of silicone implants is so soft and natural that at times, it can be difficult to distinguish them from natural breasts.
- Silicone implants also have a lower rate of wrinkling and rippling.
- Thin women with small breast tissue have the option of having them placed over muscle without sacrificing the look.
- They are lighter than saline, so the risk of downward displacement is lower.
Large breast implants produce dramatic results for women who want to have bigger and fuller breasts. As they are more noticeable than small implants, women get more attention after the surgery. Smaller implants, however, look much more natural. They tend to be non-obtrusive, and women with smaller implants can participate in more physical activities. In addition, there is less complications, such as rupture and rippling, and no noticeable shoulder, back or neck pain as the implants are much lighter. Women who do not desire a lot of attention but just want to feel normal can do away with smaller implants.