Disasters, both natural and man-made, can damage your property. In fact, a water damage problem in Salt Lake City due to disasters cost an average homeowner thousands of dollars every year. Thankfully, your property insurance can cover you from such losses.
Nevertheless, don’t take any step that would violate your contract with your insurance company. If you read the terms and conditions carefully, there are certain actions that will void your damage claims. To avoid this situation, here are five tips to keep in mind when submitting your claims:
Tips on submitting your claims
1. It’s important to file a property damage claim as soon as possible. You don’t have to report it physically, a phone call or online message is enough. Aside from your name, address, and policy number, you need to know your type of claim. The insurance company would also require you to describe the damage and its extent. Make sure that you have all the pertinent details to keep your claim from being rejected.
2. You’re still responsible for the property even if the amount of damage is extensive. You have to secure the property, keeping away any third party who might get injured on the site.
3. Unfortunately, filing a property damage insurance claim is not easy. An adjuster is usually assigned to you by the insurance company to facilitate your claim. Keep in mind that an adjuster from your insurance company will not always look out for your best interest. It’s better to hire an outside adjuster who can give you proper advice regarding your claim.
4. Don’t attempt any kind of repair without consulting your insurance company. Doing so can disqualify your claim. At the same time, keep all your receipts — including the personal belongings and items that were damaged. These are necessary for proving your property damage claims. Losing even some of them can reduce your claim amount.
5. If possible, hire your own contractors to repair the damaged property. Insurance companies can recommend their own people, but it’s better to hire people who report directly to you.
Unforeseen events can happen at any time. Your property damage insurance can help you recover from financial losses in case a disaster or an accident results in damages. If you keep these tips in mind, you will be able to claim property damage insurance successfully with minimal or even no hassle at all.